- All Implemented Interfaces:
public final class ULocale extends Object implements SerializableA class analogous to
Localethat provides additional support for ICU protocol. In ICU 3.0 this class is enhanced to support RFC 3066 language identifiers.
Many classes and services in ICU follow a factory idiom, in which a factory method or object responds to a client request with an object. The request includes a locale (the requested locale), and the returned object is constructed using data for that locale. The system may lack data for the requested locale, in which case the locale fallback mechanism will be invoked until a populated locale is found (the valid locale). Furthermore, even when a populated locale is found (the valid locale), further fallback may be required to reach a locale containing the specific data required by the service (the actual locale).
ULocale performs 'normalization' and 'canonicalization' of locale ids. Normalization 'cleans up' ICU locale ids as follows:
- language, script, country, variant, and keywords are properly cased
(lower, title, upper, upper, and lower case respectively)
- hyphens used as separators are converted to underscores
- three-letter language and country ids are converted to two-letter equivalents where available
- surrounding spaces are removed from keywords and values
- if there are multiple keywords, they are put in sorted order
- POSIX ids are converted to ICU format IDs
- 'grandfathered' 3066 ids are converted to ICU standard form
- 'PREEURO' and 'EURO' variants are converted to currency keyword form, with the currency id appropriate to the country of the locale (for PREEURO) or EUR (for EURO).
canonicalizecan be called to convert the id to canonical form, or the
canonicalInstancefactory method can be called.
This class provides selectors
#ACTUAL_LOCALEintended for use in methods named getLocale() . These methods exist in several ICU classes, including
DecimalFormatSymbolsand their subclasses, if any. Once an object of one of these classes has been created, getLocale() may be called on it to determine the valid and actual locale arrived at during the object's construction.
Note: The getLocale() method will be implemented in ICU 3.0; ICU 2.8 contains a partial preview implementation. The actual locale is returned correctly, but the valid locale is not, in most cases.
All Methods Static Methods Instance Methods Concrete Methods Modifier and Type Method Description
equals(Object obj)Equals based on locale.
forLocale(Locale loc)Return a ULocale object for a
hashCode()Return hashcode based on locale
public static final ULocale ROOTThe root ULocale.
public ULocale(String localeID)
forLocaleReturn a ULocale object for a
Locale. The ULocale is canonicalized.
loc- a JDK locale
public String getLanguage()
public String getCountry()
public String getScript()
public static ULocale getDefault()
public Locale toLocale()
public ULocale getFallback()